Saturday 26 November 2011

Cuisine d'Auteur

I am intimately convinced that Brussels is not sufficiently well known to the outside world for its large range of high level restaurants. I always become grumpy when people get surprised of the offer and quality we enjoy around here.

My favorite restaurant is Greek and is called Notos. Forget moussaka, I am talking of fine cuisine which mix flavors of the Mediterranean islands. It brings Greek food to the next level. Gosh, I would love to cook like that!

Since I first discovered it, I had dinner at Notos at least a dozen of times. Still, I just can't get enough....Last year I brought there my dad, who is well known for being (beyond) difficult when it comes to restaurants. Well...he said it was a "unique experience" and every time he comes back this is the only place where he wants to eat out. 

My very favorite picks are (in random order): the salade de poulpe, the assiette variée de la mer (crème de tarama, poulpe mariné, thon fumé, bar au citron, saumon fumé, Noix de coquilles St. Jacques) and the wine Gris de Noir d’Antonopoulos 2007 (honestly I think I could easily drink it all day long.....)

Recently I discovered that the chef and owner, Constantin Erinkoglou, is a fellow College of Europe student who at some point decided he had enough with its Eurocrat life and took a completely different path by opening Notos. True story, they say! 

You can bet I will ask him next time. What a star this Constantin!

Notos
Rue de Livourne, 154
1000 Brussels


Photo via Sensum

No comments:

Post a Comment